Pain in the arm is very common. The term arm pain can refer to many things, including pain in the elbows, wrists or shoulder. However, most of the times, when we talk about the arm pain we mean the part of the arm between the elbow and the shoulder. There could be many arm pain causes which will determine how the pain should be treated.
Causes of arm pain:
Some possible arm pain causes are;
- Brachial Plexus Injury occurs when the nerve that sends signals from your spinal cord to your shoulder, arm and hand are stretched, compressed, or in the most serious cases, torn away or ripped apart from the spinal cord. This injury causes numbness and weakness in your arm. Severe brachial plexus injury can leave you with paralyzed arm, with a loss of function and sensation.
- Cervical Spinal Stenosis is the narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck and it can squeeze and compress the nerve roots where they leave the spinal cord. This arm pain cause will leave you in pain, stiffness, numbness, or weakness in your neck, arms, and legs.
- Elbow Dislocation occurs when the bones of the forearm move out of the place compared with the bone of the upper arm. Usually it results after a fall. It causes severe pain, swelling, and inability to bend your arm.
- Injury or Trauma occurs due to overuse of arm or fall. Common injuries are work related task and sports injury.
- Neuralgia is burning, stabbing and severe pain caused by an irritated or damaged nerve. This is one of those arm pain causes which occurs as the person aged. Disease such as diabetes or infection like shingles may also contribute to the risk factor of neuralgia.
- Tendinitis irritation or inflammation of a tendon which are thick fibrous cords that attach muscle to the bone. This condition causes pain in the shoulder joint.
- Tumor can also be one of the arm pain causes which will lead to arm pain, shoulder pain, muscle weakness and tingling and sensation loss.
- Ulnar Nerve Entrapment occurs if ulnar nerve in the arm compressed or irritated. Often known as cubital tunnel syndrome. Tingling and numbness in the hand are the common signs of this condition.
- Arthritis is described as inflammation of arm joint which results into stiffness, swelling, warmth, pain and redness in arm.
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has great expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions. His center has offering various treatment options including stem cell therapy, amniotic fluid injection and much more.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166