Since shoulder has a versatile range of motion so it is more prone to an injury. Shoulder pain can interrupt with all your daily life routine because you need to move your hand or shoulder whatever you’re doing. There are many possible shoulder pain causes, some of them are discussed below.
Causes of shoulder pain:
There are so many reasons or conditions which causes shoulder pain. Shoulder pain causes include the following;
- Avascular necrosis which is death of bone tissue due to limited blood flow.
- Brachial plexus injury; is an injury to the brachial plexus which is the network of nerves that conducts signals from the spinal cord to the hand, arm and shoulder.
- Broken arm; due to fall or accident.
- Broken collarbone; collarbone can also break due to a fall.
- Bursitis is joint inflammation and it is one of the shoulder pain causes.
- Cervical radiculopathy is a condition in which cervical spine becomes inflamed or damaged, resulting in change in neurological function.
- Dislocated shoulder; when upper arm bone pops out of the cup-shaped socket causes difficulty in moving.
- Frozen shoulder is a condition which limits shoulder motion because the tissues of shoulder joint become thicker and tighter.
- Heart attack is also shoulder pain cause. Pain in left shoulder might be due to cardiac condition.
- Impingement is a very much common shoulder pain cause. It occurs due to impingement of tendons or bursa in the shoulder from bones of the shoulder.
- Osteoarthritis; disease causing the breakdown of joints. It can also affect shoulder.
- Polymyalgia rheumatica is one of those shoulder pain causes which cause muscle stiffness and pain due to inflammation of shoulder joint.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is autoimmune inflammatory joint disease. it causes swelling and pain in your affected shoulder joint.
- Rotator cuff injury; tear of the rotator cuff which are the muscles, tendons and joint capsule that stabilizes your shoulder.
- Separated shoulder; an injury to the ligaments that hold your collarbone to your shoulder blade.
- Septic arthritis; invasion of joints by an infection which results in joint inflammation.
- Sprains; stretching of ligaments causes swelling and pain.
- Tendinitis; inflammation of tendon causes pain.
- Tendon rupture is one of the common shoulder pain causes which results in inability to use affected shoulder.
- Thoracic outlet syndrome; thoracic outlet is a narrow space between your collarbone and top rib. When something presses on them you will feel pain and numbness.
- Bursitis; inflammation in the bursa that decreases rubbing, friction, and irritation.
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has great expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions. His center has offering various treatment options including stem cell therapy, amniotic fluid injection and much more.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166