Sciatica pain feels in the lower extremity. Sciatica pain causes due to the inflammation of sciatic nerve which is the large nerve extending from the lower back down the back of each leg. Sciatic nerve branches and it present from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down each leg. Sciatica pain typically affects only one side of your body.
Symptoms of sciatica pain:
Sciatica pain varies from person to person and in intensity. Although the common symptoms are;
- Lower back pain
- Pain in the leg or rear that become worse when sitting
- Hip pain
- Burning or tingling down the leg
- Difficulty moving the leg or foot and pain or numbness in the leg or foot
- Pain on one side of the rear which eventually become constant
- A shooting pain that makes it difficult for you to stand up
Causes of sciatica pain:
- Lumbar herniated disc; this is one of the sciatica pain causes which typically compresses one or more spinal nerve roots that form the sciatic nerve. It compresses the sciatic nerve on one side and causes disc bulging.
- Degeneration; tissue degeneration in the lumber spine compress the sciatic nerve. In this sciatica pain cause, degenerative tissues secret inflammatory proteins causing inflammation of the sciatica nerve.
- Lumbar spinal stenosis; is the narrowing of the spinal canal and is relatively common in adults older than age 60. And it is one of the leading sciatica pain causes in elder people.
- Spondylolisthesis; occurs when a small stress fracture causes one vertebral body to slip forward on another. Sciatica may result from nerve compression following the disc space collapse, fracture, and forward slipping of the vertebral body. Spondylolisthesis is that sciatica pain cause which is more common in younger adults.
- Age; age-related changes in the spine, is also one of the sciatica pain causes such as herniated disks and bone spurs, are the most common causes of sciatica.
- Obesity; increasing the stress on your spine, excess body weight can contribute to the spinal changes that trigger sciatica and it is also count as one of the sciatica pain causes.
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has great expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions. His center has offering various treatment options including stem cell therapy, amniotic fluid injection and much more.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166