Any discomfort or pain experienced anywhere throughout the arm is termed as arm pain. Arm pain can include pain in the wrist, elbow, and shoulder. If you are suffering from severe or long-lasting arm pain, it can have a negative impact on your quality of life as pains in the wrist can make it difficult to go about your daily activities like writing, typing or talking on the phone.
Symptoms of arm pain:
Arm pain symptoms may include the following. Make sure that you will tell all the symptoms to your doctor because it’s important to properly diagnose the cause for arm pain treatment.
- Pain in the wrist, elbow or shoulder
- Arm weakness
- Pain in one or both arms
- Upper arm pain
- Sudden arm pain in the right arm
- Redness or discoloration of the skin on the arm
- Swelling of the arm, wrist, or elbow
- Stiffness in the joints
- Itching or throbbing skin
- Pain that worsens when exercising
- Numbness or tingling
- Muscle pain or muscle aches
- Reduced range of motion
- Muscle cramps or sore arm
Arm pain reasons:
It is important that you find out what causes your arms to be in pain as arm pain treatment is totally depending on its cause. There are so many reasons that cause your arm pain. Possible causes of arm pain are;
- Exercise or overuse (muscle aches)
- Repetitive joint use (bursitis or joint inflammation)
- Bone fractures
- Joint dislocations
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Muscle, ligament or tendon strains (tendinitis) or sprains
- Skeletal structure irregularities
- Cardiac disorders or heart attack
- Angina pectoris that radiates to the arm
- Nerve damage
- Spine conditions such as cervical disk herniation
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Carpel tunnel syndrome
- Rotator cuff injury
- Other underlying conditions
Treatments for arm pain:
There are many useful arm pain treatment, some of them are;
- Prescription medications or medication management; anti-inflammatory medicines works as best arm pain treatment because most of the arm pain caused by inflammation of joints.
- Topical agents like creams; applying such creams at the area of arm which is hurting can help you in relieving pain.
- Injections such as steroid medications; steroid injections directly at the site of pain is also arm pain treatment. Using 2 or 3 steroids injections, depending on the severity of pain will help you to get relief from pain.
- Spinal Cord Stimulation technique; reduces pain because the electrical pulses mask the pain signal from reaching your brain.
- Physical therapy which includes exercises, heat and cold therapy, and electrical nerve stimulation.
- And other alternative treatments such as acupuncture, chiropractic adjustments and massage therapy are options for arm pain treatment.
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has great expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions. His center has offering various treatment options including stem cell therapy, amniotic fluid injection and much more.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166