Abdominal pain is felt in the belly. The abdomen is an organic part of the body that is surrounded by the lower edge of the ribs, with a diaphragm anterior, and the pelvic posterior, and circular on each of the sides. The abdominal pain can be raised from the tissues of the abdominal wall that covers the abdominal space such as skin and ligaments, the abdominal pain commonly defines the pain arising from the organs functioning in the abdominal cavity. The abdominal cavity comprises of the organs, including the stomach, small intestine, colon, liver, gallbladder, spleen and pancreas
Usually, the abdominal pain is felt in the tummy, sometimes it can be arising from the surrounding organs, that are not within the abdominal area. Or sometimes the pain can be caused by the organs within the belly Abdominal pain is generated by swelling and irritation of an organ, by widening or inflation and loss of blood supply to the certain organ
The common causes that may generate severe abdominal pain might include;
- Blockage of the bile duct by gallstones
- Swelling of the liver
- Ischemic colitis
- Spasm gives rise to severe muscular pain and pinched nerve
What are the symptoms of abdominal pain?
The abdominal pain demonstrates a variety of symptoms as the pain is caused by several reasons and symptoms may differ. A sharp, sudden pain can be an indication of problem in the organs occupied within the abdomen. As in the case of restricted blood circulation in the colon and blockage of the bile duct the patient may experience such symptoms. The abdominal pain arising from appendix is experienced on the right side of the lower abdomen, however, the pain arising from the discomfort in the gallbladder can be typically felt on the right side of the upper abdomen where gallbladder is located. The abdominal pain is usually severe, achy and continuous
How the abdominal pain is relieved?
- The abdominal pain caused by constipation is usually reduced by changing the bowel habits and bowel movements
- Taking anti acids can reduce pain arising from ulcers in the stomach, as the anti acids are responsible for neutralizes the acidity caused by ulcers
- Taking healthy diets and changing eating habits
- Taking medications
- Surgery is the option when other options have failed