Headaches are the most common medical complain. Nearly all individual experience them at some point in their lives. Regardless of age, race, and gender they can affect everyone. Headaches can be sometimes really painful and debilitating; the majority of headaches can be treated with simple painkillers and will go away within several hours.
There are many different types of headaches and obviously there symptoms and causes vary and the headache pain treatment depends on your symptoms and diagnosis.
Types and treatments of headaches:
Following are the types of headaches and the options for that headache pain treatment
They are caused by the over activity or problems with structures in the head that are pain-sensitive. Some examples of primary headaches are;
- Migraines; migraines will cause an intense throbbing pain on just one side of the head. Person may experience a sensitivity to smell, light, and sound. Vomiting and nausea are also common in migraines. Migraines can affect adults and children too.
Treatment; headache pain treatment for migraine include placing an ice pack on the forehead, drinking water, resting in a quite dark place and over-the-counter painkillers can stop migraines or reduce the duration and intensity of pain.
- Tension headaches; dull, constant pain felt on both sides of the head. Patient will experience a feeling of pressure behind the eyes and sensitivity to light and sound.
Treatment; getting enough sleep, regular exercise and stretching, improving sitting and standing posture, management of stress, anxiety, or depression, and acupuncture may considered as headache pain treatment for this kind of pain.
- Cluster headaches; people will experience an intense burning or piercing pain behind or around one eye. Swollen eyelid and sensitivity to light and sound are the most common symptoms of cluster headaches. More likely to occur in smokers.
Treatments; steroids, melatonin and oxygen therapy are the treatment options for cluster headaches.
They occur due to wide range of different factors such as head injury or sudden caffeine withdrawal. Examples are;
- Medication-overuse headaches; daily headache whose symptoms are similar to migraines or tension headaches. Sleep disturbance or increase heart rate are common in MOH.
Treatments; taking painkillers for headaches on no more than 2 days in a week and using preventive medications for a chronic migraine are headache pain treatment for this kind of headaches.
- Sinus headaches; person will experience dull, throbbing ache around the eyes, cheeks, and forehead. Other symptoms may include blocked nose, fever, and nausea, thick green or yellow nasal discharge.
Treatments; OTC painkillers and nasal decongestants are treatment options. Antibiotics are recommended in case of bacterial infection.
- Caffeine related headaches; 4 cups of coffee can sometimes lead to headaches. Difficulty concentrating, poor mood or irritability and nausea are symptoms.
Treatments; reducing caffeine intake could decrease the risk of headache.
You can call on Zaki Anwar medical center for further queries. 815.412.6166