This is a treatment for pain that utilizes a mild electric current in order to block nerve impulses in the spine. The standard pain sensory and processing circuits of the spinal cord and brain are modified in these conditions. The spinal cord stimulation not only lessens unusual pain signals getting to the brain but additionally reestablishes the normal pain inhibition pathways that may have been lost. This works by stimulating the body’s natural pain relief substances, chemical neurotransmitters that are utilized by nerves to interact with one another. As a result, this not only outcomes in decreased pain but also in the occurrence of ischaemia, improved microcirculation.
It is vital to properly choose patients who are probably going to benefit from spinal cord stimulation treatment. However, this treatment does not work for all patients with all sort of pain. Contingent on the results of researches, 50% – 70% of appropriate patients for this treatment may experience a 50% decrease in their reported pain at follow up. A higher number of patients will get a 30% pain decrease. Enduring neuropathic pain has a noteworthy effect on measures of health-related quality of life. In these conditions, spinal cord stimulation impressively improves quality of life.
This treatment has a better reputation in treating neuropathic back and leg pain than repeat back surgery or extensive pain management alone.
Spinal Cord Stimulation Risks and Benefits
Similarly, with any surgery, there are a few risks involved, such as:
- Allergic Reaction
- Spinal Fluid Leakage
Likewise, there are a few risks that are particular to this treatment. Such as:
- Stimulation stops or just works irregularly
- Stimulation takes place in the wrong area
- Over- stimulation
- The lead could move or end up damaged
- Poor system connection
On the other hand, there are likewise various advantages to utilizing spinal cord stimulation, such as:
- Spinal cord stimulation works in a way to be in control of pain relief. The patient can decide when it is required.
- Based on the fact that the system is compact, as a result, the patient ought to probably continue the majority of standard everyday routine at home and at work.
- The patient can travel, based on the fact that the pain relief travels with you (it is to remember that sitting for a longer time frame can trigger pain).
- The patient will probably be able to take part in most recreational activities, for example, walking, swimming, and gardening.
- Easing a few or all of the pain will positively affect your mental outlook, reduce stress, and improve your overall quality of life.