RACZ Epidural Neurolysis is using as a therapy for chronic back pain. It’s an injection or series of injections into the spine with the goal of reliving pain. This procedure is also called as Racz’s minimal invasive epidural catheter procedure.
RACZ Epidural Neurolysis treatment has the potential to provide immediate and significant long term relief from chronic pain and discomfort in the lumbar spine.
Racz Epidural Neurolysis can avoid the need for spinal surgery in many patients with chronic back pain and sciatic pain. It is not only utilized in patients suffering from failed spine surgery but can also apply to non-surgical back pain patients to prevent chronification.
Racz Epidural Neurolysis applications:
- Disc herniation which can lead to nerve compression and chemical irritation of nerve roots.
- It is also useful in spinal disc protrusion which ultimately results in nerve compression
- Painful irritation of a nerve-root in the spinal cord which is known as radiculopathy, Racz Epidural Neurolysis is also beneficial in this condition.
- Sometimes scar tissue can formed around a nerve due to an injury or after spinal surgery which causes chronic pain. Racz Epidural Neurolysis can apply to treat this.
Racz Epidural Neurolysis procedure involves the passing of Racz epidural catheter into the epidural space of a patient and medicine is then directly injected at the site of nerve injury in order to decrease the pain and to break up nerve adhesions. Racz Epidural Neurolysis applies on those patients who have already had surgery but get no results and their pain is still with them.
The procedure contains following steps.
- Firstly, a neurosurgeon injects a local anesthesia at the base of the spine.
- With the help of a probe, a tube is guided into the epidural space and on to the site of the pain. The tube should place gently so that the patient would not feel any discomfort.
- Now anti-inflammatory and anaesthesizing medication is injected into this space which provides gentle sedation, pain relief, reduces swelling and relieves painful pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Painful scar tissue get dissolves in the solution which contain natural enzyme and agglutinates around the spine.
- The whole procedure takes 30 to 60 minutes.
It is necessary to repeat the injection 4 times within 2 days. Sometimes the injection will be repeated after a few months, if more scar tissue needs to be dissolved.
What to do after Racz Epidural Neurolysis?
- Do not carry weight more than 10 kg for a week.
- Physiotherapy can help you to recover fast.
- Racz Epidural Neurolysis maintains a strategic distance from tissue injury, so there is no chance of tissue injury.
- Racz utilizes the natural openings in the spine so as to get to the epidural space.
- This is least invasive type of surgical pain therapy.
- After unsatisfactory outcomes from micro-surgical treatment, this treatment is mainly useful.
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has vast expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166