Back pain is a common concern that can interfere with a person’s work and personal life. Back pain is affecting up to 80% of people at some point in their lifetime. Back pain is not a specific disease; it is a condition which can occur with a variety of different reasons.
Possible reasons of back pain:
Since back pain treatment is very much dependent on the cause of back pain. So while treating the pain, the cause should be in your mind. Most of the time the back pain is non-specific which means there would be no specific reason of pain or it can also be mechanical means the pain originates from the bones or soft tissues and joints in and around the spine. This kind of pain has following characteristics;
- Get better or maybe worse depending on your position.
- Usually gets worse when moving but it’s not a good idea to avoid moving your back completely, as this can make things even worse.
- Develop suddenly or gradually
- Be the result of poor posture or lifting something awkwardly
- May be due to a minor injury such as sprain or strain
- Can be associated with feeling of stress
Back pain can also cause by medical conditions such as;
- Slipped disc
- Ankylosing spondylitis
Treatments options for back pain:
Back pain treatment which you can try a your own includes;
- Stay active; keep moving and continue with your normal daily life as much as possible. It was a thought that bed rest will help you to recover from back pain but according to a new survey, people who remain active will recover fast.
- Back exercises; stretches and back exercises are the back pain treatments which will be really helpful when do regularly.
- Painkillers; non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines can help in relieving back pain. You can also use muscle relaxants as back pain treatment option if you have painful spams in your back.
- Cold or hot packs; you can also use heat pad or ice pack whichever you feel comfortable.
Some specialist back pain treatments are;
- Manual therapy; group of treatments where a therapist uses their hands to move, massage and apply careful force to the muscles, bones and joints in or around your spine.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy; help you manage your back pain better by changing how you think about your condition.
- Surgery; if there is any specific or medical reason for your back pain than surgery will be recommended.
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has great expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions. His center has offering various treatment options including stem cell therapy, amniotic fluid injection and much more.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166