Neck pain is a common medical condition. There are so many neck pain causes, it can come from a number of diseases and disorders and can involve any of the tissues in the neck. Most of the people experience neck pain or stiffness occasionally. Most of the times neck pain can be relieve within few days because it is not that serious.
Causes of neck pain:
Neck stiffness or pain can occur due to variety of reasons. Neck is flexible and it supports the weight of our head so it can be easily vulnerable to injuries and conditions that cause pain and restrict the neck motion. Common neck pain causes include:
- Muscle tension and strains; activities like spending too much time hunched over your computer, working at a desk for so long without changing the position, or jerking your neck while exercising or behaviors like bad posture or sleeping with your neck in bad position are most common neck pain causes. These activities can triggers muscles strains which causes pain.
- Meningitis; an inflammation of the thin tissue that surrounds the brain and spinal cord can also consider as neck pain cause because in meningitis, a fever and a headache often occur with a stiff neck. Meningitis can be fatal and it is a medical emergency.
- Injury; the neck is particularly vulnerable to injury, especially in falls, car accidents, and sports, because in these incidents the muscles and ligaments of the neck are forced to move outside of their normal range.
If the neck bones; cervical vertebrae are fractured, the spinal cord might also become damaged. Neck injury due to sudden head jerk is commonly called whiplash.
- Herniated cervical disk; a disk protrudes as a result of trauma or injury; and it may add pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots. Also known as slip disc or ruptured disk. This is one of the neck pain causes.
- Fibromyalgia; a condition which causes muscle pain throughout the body, especially in the neck region.
- Spondylosis or osteoarthritis; the cervical discs degenerate as you age. It adds stress to your joints and also one of the leading neck pain causes in older age.
- In rare cases, neck pain also cause by conditions such as congenital abnormalities, infections, abscesses, tumors or cancer of the spine.
Some treatments for neck pain are:
- Ice and heat therapy
- Physical therapy exercise, and stretching
- pain medication
- Corticosteroid injections
- Muscle relaxants
- Neck collar
- Antibiotics if you have an infection
- surgery (rarely)
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has great expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions. His center has offering various treatment options including stem cell therapy, amniotic fluid injection and much more.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166