Group of nerves found along the front side of spinal columns are termed as Sympathetic nerves. They are part of the nervous system and controls many body functions including sweating, heart rate, digestion, and blood pressure. They also carry pain signals. When these nerves become damaged due to an injury, these nerves transmit pain even after injury has been healed. This can often results in a condition known as Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS).
Sympathetic nerve block:
A sympathetic nerve block is an injection of medicine around nerves. It is directly injected into the area of pain whether it includes your neck or back. The purpose of sympathetic nerve block is to help reduce long-term (chronic) pain of yours. Sympathetic nerve block can also be used to treat some pain caused by different types of cancers.
Sympathetic nerve block procedure:
Procedure is done under the effect of anesthesia. Anesthesia numbs the nerves. Steroids are also used to reduce swelling and pain.
- First of all doctor will used a tiny needle to numb the skin.
- After that, nerve block needle has been put under the numbed area.
- Whole procedure takes about 30 to 60 minutes.
- You can go home about an hour after the treatment once done.
Many pain health care providers believed that sympathetic nerve block is an effective method in controlling chronic pain. Although, there are no medical evidences that shows that these blocks are actually helpful.
After sympathetic nerve blocks procedure, you might get relief from pain for several days or even for months. Some people may get relief from pain permanently. But in most of the cases, the procedure will need to be repeated.
We can use sympathetic nerve blocks for:
Some of the conditions for which sympathetic nerve blocks can be used include;
- If you have a problem of excessive sweating, than you might get benefits from sympathetic nerve blocks.
- Spams in the blood vessels causes pain, and nerve blocks can relief this pain.
- Sympathetic nerve blocks is also using for Raynaud’s syndrome.
- You can also use these blocks for Complex regional pain syndrome.
- These blocks are also useful in some types of chronic stomach pain
- Temporary soreness
- Feeling of warmth
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has vast expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions.
For further queries call on 815-412-6174