An unpleasant sensation ranging from mild discomfort to unbearable agony in either or both upper extremities of the body is known as arm pain. It can be caused by a wide variety of problems, ranging from joint injuries to compressed nerves. This pain can start suddenly or overtime, depending on the cause.
The main arm pain causes can be highlighted as:
Pain in the arm can also be a result of a medicine’s reaction such as penicillin, anti-anxiety drugs and oral contraceptives. Those injuries that are common in auto-accidents, known as Whiplash injuries can cause arm pain.
If pain in the arm and hand is left untreated then it might lead to a very painful neurological condition called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (also known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy).
The more pronounced reasons of arm pain are:
- Tennis elbow (an injury to the tendon in the outer elbow) and Golfer’s Elbow (causes affect on the inner tendon of the elbow)
- Car crashes resulting in a fracture in arm
- Train and rail road accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents etc.
Arm Pain after an accident
Usually whiplash is the most common injury in auto accidents; arm pain after a car accident is also a very common injury.
Arm pain symptoms after a car crash include:
- If ligaments or discs in the neck are injured then they can cause problems with the nerves travelling from the arm.
- The violent, heavy collision of an auto or a car can directly damage the shoulder, arm or wrist.
- Due to any tension, severe pain will be felt in the neck and at the back causing a whiplash injury. As a result other body parts will also suffer in pain.