Neck pain is a common medical condition. Neck pain can occur due to number of disorders and can affect any tissue of the neck. While planning a neck pain treatment, the reason of the pain should be in your doctor’s mind so that they can better help you to get relief from pain.
Common causes of neck pain:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Neck strain
- Cervical spondylosis
- Spinal stenosis
- Poor posture
- Neck injury like whiplash, a herniated disc, or a pinched nerve
Symptoms of neck pain:
- Pain and stiffness
- Numbness or tingling
- Dizziness and blackouts
- Grating and clicking noises
- Muscle spams
- Sleep disturbance
Diagnosis of neck pain:
- X-ray evaluation
- CT scan
- Bone scan
- MRI scan
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Nerve conduction velocity test (NCV)
Treatments of neck pain:
A neck pain treatment depends upon the precise cause of neck pain. There are various treatment options for neck pain which is interfering with your life and resist you in performing your daily life activities. Common options for neck pain treatment are;
- Pain medicines or drug treatment; stronger pain medicines, muscle relaxants and tricyclic antidepressants can be used for pain relief.
- Physical therapy; correct posture, alignment and neck-strengthening exercise can help you in relieving neck pain. Use of heat, ice, electrical stimulation and other measures also help ease your pain and prevent a recurrence.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS); delivers tiny electrical impulses that may relieve pain by placing electrodes on your skin near the painful areas.
- Traction ;by using weights, pulleys or an air bladder , therapist can gently stretch your neck which provide relief of some neck pain, especially when pain is related to nerve root irritation.
- Short-term immobilization; a soft collar that supports your neck might also help relieve pain by taking pressure off the structures in your neck.
- Manipulation; type of manual therapy which can be used as neck pain treatment, it works by adjusting parts of your body to treat stiffness.
- Steroid injections; corticosteroids are usually injected near the nerve root or into the muscles in your neck to help with the pain
- Surgery; neck pain treatment which is rarely needed. Surgery can be performed for relieving nerve root or spinal cord compression.
- Radiofrequency denervation; useful in long term neck pain originates from facet joints. Electrical current is use to heat up the needle and then this needle will used to stop nerve endings sending pain signals to your brain.
- Acupuncture; is a type of neck pain treatment in which thin needles are inserted at a number of sites on the skin which then release painkillers and interferes with the signals to your brain which are associated with pain.
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. His center is best for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166