Almost everyone experience abdominal discomfort or pain at some point in their lives. It can be mild and severe, continues or come and go. Abdominal pain can be acute (short lived) or chronic (long term). It usually felt in the part of the trunk below the ribs and above the pelvis and the groin. The most common kind is stomachache or bellyache.
Causes of abdominal pain:
Abdominal pain has many causes on which abdominal pain treatment is dependent. The most common causes are;
- Abnormal growths
- Obstruction (blockage)
- Intestinal disorders
- Throat infections
- Gastroenteritis (stomach flu)
- Acid reflux (when stomach contents leak backward into the esophagus, causing heartburn and other symptoms)
- Kidney stones
- Kidney infection
Treatments of abdominal pain:
Abdominal pain treatment depends on its cause. Treatments can range from medications to antibiotics. Medications are an option for abdominal pain treatment if the pain is due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) or due to ulcers. Antibiotics are optimal option for abdominal pain treatment if the reason of pain is infections which can be caused by the intake of certain food or beverages. In case of hernia and appendicitis some diagnostic tests such as stool or urine samples, CT scans, endoscopy, and blood tests are required to rule out or confirm a specific diagnosis, and surgery may be needed or you can say surgery is the only abdominal pain treatment option in these cases.
Some abdominal pain treatments are;
- Over-the-counter pain relievers
- Prescription medications for inflammation, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), ulcers, or general pain
- Low-dose antidepressants
- Changes in behavior which include the elimination of certain foods or beverages that may be contributing to your abdominal pain
- Surgery to remove intestinal blockages, hernia, or infected organs.
Some natural remedies or abdominal pain treatments are;
- Eat less food
- Take small amounts of baking soda
- Use lemon or lime juice( which suits you better)
- Start a BRAT diet; start eating banana, rice, applesauce and toast for a day or so for symptom relief
- Drink water frequently
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol
- Exercise regularly
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has great expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions. His center has offering various treatment options including stem cell therapy, amniotic fluid injection and much more.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166