Back pain is a very familiar problem and affects all of us at some point of our lives. Back pain is one of the most common causes of people going to the doctor or miss work, and it is a leading cause of disability worldwide.
Symptoms of back pain:
Main symptom of back pain is pain or ache anywhere in the back. Some other symptoms associated with back pain are;
- Weight loss
- Inflammation or swelling on the back
- Persistent back pain, where lying down or resting does not help
- Pain down the legs
- Pain that reaches below the knees
- A recent injury, trauma or blow to the back
- Urinary incontinence
- Difficulty urinating
- Fecal incontinence, or loss of control over bowel movements
- Numbness around the genitals
- Numbness around the anus
- Numbness around the buttocks
Reasons of back pain:
Numerous factors can contribute to back pain. Common back pain causes are;
One of the common back pain causes are strain, tension, or injury. Strained muscles or ligaments, muscle tension, a muscle spasm, damaged disks, falls or fractures and injuries can be your back pain reason.
Other than that, numbers of structural problems are also included in back pain causes which may include;
Ruptured disks each and every vertebra in the spine is cushioned by disks. If the disk ruptures then there will be more pressure on the nerve which results in back pain.
Bulging disks a bulging disk can result in more pressure on a nerve.
Sciatica sharp and shooting pain travels through the buttock and down the back of the leg, caused by a bulging or herniated disk pressing on a nerve.
Arthritis can cause problems with the joints in the hips, lower back, and other places.
Abnormal curvature of the spine when spine curves in an unusual way, it will results in back pain. An example is scoliosis, in which the spine curves to the side.
Osteoporosis bones which include the vertebrae of the spine when become brittle and porous, making compression fractures more likely.
Kidney problems Kidney infection or kidney stone can cause back pain.
Certain posture and movement can also become back pain cause;
- Coughing or sneezing
- Muscle tension
- Bending awkwardly or for long periods
- Pushing, pulling, lifting, or carrying something
- Standing or sitting for long periods
- Straining the neck forward while driving or using a computer
- Long driving without a break
- Sleeping on a mattress which is not supporting the body and keep the spine straight
Zaki Anwar MD is an Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Management Specialist. He has great expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of back pain, headaches, migraines, neck pain, sciatica pain and various pain conditions. His center has offering various treatment options including stem cell therapy, amniotic fluid injection and much more.
For further queries call on 815.412.6166